Saturday, December 30, 2006

All shook up

Before I came to Taiwan, I'd never experienced an earthquake. I must admit that i've become a bit blase about them...but Tuesday's powerful quake, 6.7 on the richter scale, and several aftershocks, did shake me.

The epicentres were off Taiwan's southern coast - and 2 people were killed. But they could be felt across the island; in Taipei, my apartment shook and I almost headed outside with my doorkeys after the second jolt.

Its severely affected phone and internet connections - not just in Taiwan, but across Asia. A reminder of how dependent we've become on high-tech communications; on Wednesday I couldnt make any phone calls to the US or UK; and noone could contact me from overseas by phone here [some would say a good thing! but a mixed blessing when you are trying to file news]. Things are getting better...but my mobile connections overseas are still dodgy.

No comments: